Updated: May 25, 2018:
JD Supra is a legal publishing service that links experts and their content to a wider audience of professionals, journalists and associations.
Please note that if you subscribe to any of our services, you can make choices about how we collect, use and share your information through our privacy center in the “My Account” dashboard (available if you are connected to your JD Supra account).
Registration information. When you register with JD Supra for our website and services, either as an author or as a subscriber, you will be asked to provide credentials to create your JD Supra account (“Registration data“), like your:
- First name
- Last name
- Company Name
- Business industry
other information: We also collect other information that you can provide voluntarily. This may include the content that you provide for publication. We may also receive your communications with third parties through our website and services (such as contacting an author via our website) or communications directly with us (such as by email, comments or other forms or social media). If you are a subscribed user, we will also collect your user preferences, such as the types of articles you want to read.
Information from third parties (such as your employer or LinkedIn): We may also receive information about you from third party sources. For example, your employer may provide us with your information, for example as part of an article submitted by your employer for publication. If you choose to use LinkedIn to subscribe to our website and services, we also collect information about your LinkedIn account and profile.
How do we use this information?
We use the information and data we collect primarily to provide our website and services. More specifically, we may use your personal information to:
- Operate our website and services and publish content;
- Distribute content to you in accordance with your preferences and to provide you with other notifications (for example, updates to our policies and conditions);
- Measure readership and use of the website and services;
- Communicate with you regarding your questions and requests;
- Authenticate users and ensure the safety and security of our website and services;
- Conduct research and similar activities to improve our website and services; and
- Respect our legal and regulatory responsibilities and assert our rights.
How is your information shared?
- Content and other public information (such as an author profile) is shared on our website and services, including via email summaries and social media feeds, and is accessible to the general public.
- If you choose to use our website and services to communicate directly with a business or individual, that communication may be shared accordingly.
- Readership information is provided to law firms and content writers to give them an overview of their readership and help them improve their content.
- Your information may also be shared with parties that support our business, such as professional advisers as well as web hosting providers, analytics providers and other information technology providers.
- Any court, government authority, law enforcement agency, or other third party whose disclosure we believe is necessary to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation, or otherwise to protect our rights, the rights of any third party, or security personal information, or to detect, prevent or otherwise deal with fraud, security or safety concerns.
- To our affiliated entities and in connection with the sale, disposal or any other transfer of our company or our business.
How we protect your information
JD Supra takes reasonable and appropriate precautions to ensure that user information is protected from loss, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction. We limit access to user information to people who reasonably need access to perform their functions, such as our third-party messaging service, customer service, and technical staff. You should keep in mind that no Internet transmission is ever 100% secure or error free. When using login credentials (usernames, passwords) on our website, remember that it is your responsibility to protect them. If you believe that your login details have been compromised, please contact us at [email protected]
Information for children
Our website and services are not directed to children under the age of 16 and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 16 through our website and / or our services. If you have reason to believe that a child under the age of 16 has provided us with personal information, please contact us and we will endeavor to delete that information from our databases.
Links to other websites
Our website and services may contain links to other websites. The operators of these other websites may collect information about you, including through cookies or other technologies. If you use our website or our services and click on a link to another site, you will leave our website and this policy will not apply to your use and activity on these other sites. We encourage you to read the legal notices published on these sites, including their privacy policies. We are not responsible for the data collection and use practices of these other sites. This policy applies only to information collected in the course of your use of our website and services and does not apply to any practice conducted offline or in connection with other websites.
Information for European and Swiss residents
JD Supra’s primary location is in the United States. By subscribing to our website, you expressly consent to the processing of your information in the United States.
- Your rights
- Right of access / portability: You can ask to review the details of the information we hold about you and how that information has been used and disclosed. Please note that we may ask to verify your identity before responding to your request. You can also request that your personal information be provided to you in a commonly used electronic format so that you can share it with other organizations.
- Right to correct information: You can request that we make corrections to any information we hold, if you think such a correction is necessary.
- Right to restrict our processing or erasure of information: You also have the right in certain circumstances to ask us to restrict the processing of your personal information or to delete your personal information. When you have consented to our use of your personal information, you can withdraw your consent at any time.
You can request to exercise any of these rights by sending us an e-mail at [email protected] or by writing to us at:
JD Supra, LLC
10 Liberty Ship Way, office 300
Sausalito, California 94965
You can also manage your profile and subscriptions via our Privacy Center under the “My Account” dashboard.
We will make every practical effort to respect your wishes. However, it may happen that we are unable to respond to your request, for example, if applicable law prohibits our compliance. Please note that JD Supra does not use “automatic decision making” or “profiling” as these terms are defined in the GDPR.
- Subsequent transfer to third parties: As noted in the “How we share your data” section above, JD Supra may share your information with third parties. When JD Supra discloses your personal information to third parties, we have ensured that these third parties have been certified in accordance with EU-US standards. or Swiss Privacy Shield Framework and will process all personal data received from EU Member States / Switzerland based on the applicable Privacy Shield Framework or that they have been subject to strict contractual provisions in their contract with us for guarantee an adequate level of data protection for your data.
California Privacy Rights
In accordance with article 1798.83 of the California Civil Code, our customers who are residents of California have the right to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for direct marketing purposes.
You can request this information by emailing us at [email protected] or by writing to us at:
JD Supra, LLC
10 Liberty Ship Way, office 300
Sausalito, California 94965
Some browsers have integrated a Do Not Track (DNT) function. These features, when enabled, send a signal that you prefer that the website you are visiting does not collect or use data about your online browsing and search activities. As there is not yet a common understanding on how to interpret the DNT signal, we do not currently respond to DNT signals on our site.
Access / correct / update / delete personal information
For non-EU / Swiss residents, if you would like to know what personal information we have about you, you can send an email to [email protected] We will be in contact with you (by email or otherwise) to verify your identity and provide you with the information you request. We will respond within 30 days to your request for access to your personal information. In some cases, we may not be able to delete your personal information, in which case we will notify you if we are unable to do so and why. If you want to correct or update your personal information, you can manage your profile and subscriptions via our Privacy Center under the “My Account” dashboard. If you wish to delete your account or delete your information from our website and services, send an email to [email protected]
Contact JD Supra
As with many websites, the JD Supra website (located at www.jdsupra.com) (our “Website“) and our services (such as our email article summaries) (our”Services“) use a standard technology called” cookies “and other similar technologies (such as pixels and web beacons), which are small data files that are transferred to your computer when you use our website and services. These technologies automatically identify your browser each time you interact with our website and services.
- Improve the user experience on our website and services;
- Keep the authorization token that users receive when they log in to the private areas of our website. This token is specific to a user’s login session and requires a valid username and password to obtain it. It is required to access user profile information, subscriptions and analytics;
- Track anonymous use of the site; and
- Allow connectivity with social media networks to allow sharing of content.
There are different types of cookies and other technologies used on our website, including:
- “Session cookies“- These cookies only last for the duration of your online session and disappear from your computer or device when you close your browser (such as Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Safari).
- “Persistent cookies“- These cookies remain on your computer or device after you close your browser and last for a period of time specified in the cookie. We use persistent cookies when we need to know who you are for more than one browsing session. For example, we use it to remember your preferences the next time you visit.
- “Web Beacons / Pixels“- Some of our web pages and emails may also contain small electronic images called web beacons, clear GIFs or single pixel GIFs. These images are placed on a web page or email and generally work with cookies to collect data. We use these images to identify our users and user behavior, for example by counting the number of users who have visited a web page or who have responded to one of our e-summaries. mails.
JD Supra Cookies. We place our own cookies on your computer to track certain information about you when you use our website and services. For example, we place a session cookie on your computer each time you visit our website. We use these cookies to allow you to log into your subscriber account. Additionally, through these cookies, we are able to collect information about how you use the website, including the browser you use, your IP address and the URL address you came from during your visit. on our website and the URL you will visit next time (even if these URLs are not on our website). We also use web beacons to monitor whether our emails are delivered and read. We also use these tools to help provide reader analytics to our authors to give them an overview of their readership and help them improve their content, so that it is most useful to our users.
Analysis / performance cookies. JD Supra also uses the following analysis tools to help us analyze the performance of our website and services and how visitors use our website and services:
- HubSpot – For more information on HubSpot cookies, please visit legal.hubspot.com/privacy-policy.
- New relic – For more information on New Relic cookies, please visit www.newrelic.com/privacy.
- Google Analytics – For more information on Google Analytics cookies, visit www.google.com/policies. To disable tracking by Google Analytics on all websites, visit http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout. This will allow you to download and install a web browser without a Google Analytics cookie.
Facebook, Twitter and other social media cookies. Our content pages allow you to share content appearing on our website and services with your social media accounts via the “Like”, “Tweet” or similar buttons displayed on these pages. To perform this service, we incorporate code that these third-party social networks provide and that we do not control. These buttons know that you are logged into your social network account and, therefore, these social networks may also know that you are visiting the JD Supra website.
Control and deletion of cookies
The processes for controlling and deleting cookies vary depending on the browser you use. To find out how to do this with a particular browser, you can use the “Help” function of your browser or alternatively, you can visit http://www.aboutcookies.org which explains, step by step, how to control and delete cookies in the most browsers.
Updates to this policy
Contact JD Supra