Leaders recommended elected members vote in favor of the proposal, arguing that there would be no time to develop an alternative offering and Perth would miss out on the celebrations.
The program includes plans for rides, water slides, and a motocross and BMX show at Langley Park, as well as a Birak concert at Supreme Court Gardens and a Dreamtime storytelling show at Elizabeth Quay.
It also features plans for a water gun park and family concerts in Yagan Square, touring entertainment at Murray Street and Hay Street malls, and hawker markets at Forrest Place.
Concerts are scheduled for Victoria Gardens in East Perth, Harold Boas Gardens in West Perth, JH Abrahams Reserve in Crawley and the Perth Cultural Center in Northbridge.
Several $ 10 gift cards for punters to spend in the CBD are also on the cards.
All activities would be subject to current social distancing restrictions, with “trained COVID commissioners” and hand sanitizing stations present throughout the event.
Concerts will be organized and most activities will be closed to control the number of inbound and outbound punters, who should register upon arrival to facilitate contact tracing.
In the event that WA rolls out more stringent restrictions to respond to a coronavirus outbreak, the schedule would be revised and activities would be canceled.
This will be the second time Western Australians have missed Australia Day Skyworks since the council began hosting the show in 1997.
The popular event was first canceled in 2017 when a light plane tragically crashed into the Swan River during Australia Day celebrations.
Following Skyworks’ cancellation last week, Mr Zempilas said it was “disappointing” that the fireworks did not take place, but added that it was very fortunate for the city of ” shine”.
“This is a fabulous opportunity for our city to shine and celebrate like never before,” he said.
“We will celebrate Australia Day 2021 and we will do it safely.”
At Tuesday night’s board meeting, Zempilas will also bring forward a motion to bring back the Nativity scene, which has been replaced with a series of Christmas concerts at Forrest Place due to COVID-19 restrictions.
“While the Christmas concerts are well intentioned and will benefit the community, they do not replace the traditional Christmas crib,” he wrote in the motion.
Mr Zempilas acknowledged that it may not be possible for the council to organize a nativity scene in time for this year’s Christmas celebrations, but called on the council to reinstate the event for 2021 and to ” make it even bigger and better ”.
The city of Perth has hosted a Christmas crib since 1996.
Marta is an award-winning photographer and journalist specializing in social justice issues and local government.